Member Login

Member Login

FreeWheelers plan RAGBRAI Ride

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Nov 2013 09:34 #61 by Guest
FreeWheelers plan RAGBRAI Ride was created by Guest
RAGBRAI - Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa – in 2014 will be well represented by Florida FreeWheelers.

Maybe you?

The discussion has started. Many of us would like the ride through the corn, eat lots of pie, and celebrate the community parties that every RAGBRAI riders enjoys at 10-mile intervals.

RAGBRAI, July 20- 26, is easily the largest bicycle ride in America, and Iowa’s Mardi Gras.

We have an outfitter, Pork Belly Ventures (PKBelly.com), who will carry our bags and provide us a campsite, cool shade, cool drinks, live music and a carefree existence. You only have to get up at dawn, stand in line at the Port-A-Jon, pack your stuff, get it to the truck, then enjoy 70 to 85 miles of corn, countryside and the fine people of Iowa.

This ride is several months away. Iowa has yet to enjoy the winter of 2013-14. We have time to talk about it, and I will try to keep you updated.

If this is something that you would like to do, I suggest you contact Pork Belly to get on their e-mail list. Tammy and her brother, Pete, run Pork Belly Ventures and will welcome your interest. E-mail Tammy at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and Pete at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

I sent this posting to Tammy to ensure that I was not overstating, misstating or outright lying. She asked only that I add that Pork Belly now hauls 12 real porcelain, flushing toilets from town to town, so riders can get a break from Port-A-Jon experience. Incidentally, in Iowanese, a Port-A-Jon is a kybo.

Of all the infrastructure that Pork Belly hauls from town to town, the shower trucks are my favorite, but I’m sure porcelain will be a welcomed addition.

RAGBRAI’s site is www. RAGBRAI. com. Getting the official RAGBRAI certification, which is required by Pork Belly, is a lottery system to name 10,000 riders (The other 10,000 riders are “Pirates.”) You can join our group – FloridaFreeWheelers – so if any us win the lottery, we all win the lottery. Of course you are welcome to register as an individual. I have ridden this ride twice – 2008 and 2011 – and both times I got a ticket as an individual, so let’s not over dramatize the RAGBRAI lottery.

But together, with our Flamingo jerseys flapping, we can be a presence and represent our club well in Iowa.

RAGBRAI registration begins November 15 and runs through March. Pork Belly will start taking on riders in February. So for now, you only have to think about it.

If you have questions about RAGBRAI, look to the official site. And Tammy and Pete have been doing this since Reagan was in the Whitehouse. If you e-mail me, I will tell you what I know, or provide web links to sites where you can get your answers. I am at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

The corn is calling.

Please Log in to join the conversation.