Member Login

Camp Boggy Creek Challenge Ride - Sept 12

• Forum Admin
  • Forum Admin's Avatar Topic Author
More
01 Aug 2015 19:21 #171 by Forum Admin
Camp Boggy Creek Challenge Ride - Sept 12 was created by Forum Admin
Dear Friend,

All children’s journeys are unique; my daughter Evie was healthy and normal until she was just shy of three years old. Then we heard the worst news a parent can hear; a cancerous brain tumor. Over the years, Evie has undergone various surgeries and treatments. She has dealt with the side effects of surgery and treatment- intense learning impairments, being held back in school, permanent hair loss, and balance issues.

During Evie’s treatment at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children the hospital social worker told us about Camp Boggy Creek. Camp Boggy Creek not only offers fun camp activities such as horseback riding, swimming, archery, and many others, but provides children with serious illnesses a medically safe environment to rediscover their childhood and not be defined by their illness.

After going through so much for so long, our daughter was desperate for joy and normal childhood fun. When she arrived at Camp Boggy Creek for the first time, we saw Evie light up with joy! She laughed and played, and was just another kid. At Camp Boggy Creek, kids don’t have to worry about fitting in- they just do. They don’t have to seek approval or acceptance as it is given abundantly by peers and counselors. It is a place where my daughter’s hope is restored. She can forget about being different and just be Evie.

Our entire family has been so positively affected by the good we have experienced at Boggy Creek, we wanted to find a way to give back. Before Evie’s diagnosis, my husband Chris was once an avid cyclist and a member of the Florida Freewheelers group. Becoming involved with the Challenge Ride event felt like a perfect pairing to once again be working with amazing members of the local cycling community and giving back to the Camp that has done so much for my family. The Challenge Ride allows cyclists to spend a Saturday doing what they love, while significantly impacting the lives of the brave children and their families who attend Camp Boggy Creek free of charge.

Since opening in 1996, over 65,000 children and their family members, like ours, have benefited from these life changing and empowering programs. In its 5th year, the Challenge Ride continues to ensure that Camp Boggy Creek will continue its wonderful work welcoming children with serious illnesses and their family members. Your support makes certain this happens!

Please join us, challenge yourself and change the life of a child! Sincerely,

Jennifer W. Tanner
Challenge Ride Event Chair
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Challengerideflyer2015.pdf

Please Log in to join the conversation.