Member Login

Member Login

Touring

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 May 2015 16:40 #159 by Guest
Touring was created by Guest
I am planning a cross county trip from Oregon back to Florida probably in the spring of next year. I currently ride a Giant hybrid. Many people have told me that I need to switch over to a more dedicated touring machine. I do think that is a good idea but I have some questions.

1 I dont do well with drop bars and have seen the Nash trekking bars. Does anyone use them? If so please tell me your thoughts.

2 Does anyone have a bike that has the breakdown couplers for shipping?

3 And finally has anyone done a lengthy trip that can give me any tips and would be willing to do a face to face?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 May 2015 11:57 #160 by Guest
Replied by Guest on topic Touring
My wife and I cycled from Massachusetts to Florida about 4 years ago. We used a road bike and a cyclocross bike. The road bike took a beating, but the cyclocross bike held up well. We made a scrapbook of the journey which gives a pretty good idea of day to day life on the road. If you have any questions you can contact us.

More
30 May 2015 19:33 #163 by Robert James
Replied by Robert James on topic Touring
I use the drops mostly when pedaling into a headwind. With a loaded tourer, I'm frequently standing to pedal up hills. I've pedaled many times to Alexander Springs to camp and snorkel. My longest trip was from Portland, OR to San Francisco. Same bike.

My brother Stuart has toured New Zealand's south island, the Blue Ridge and probably others.
He and I both live north of Maitland.

If you'd like to talk,

Bob James
mobile 407.304.6319